Monday, December 27, 2004

Blue ceramic beetle

Hello,

Well, i've got to be thankful for the pick of countries i chose for this trip 5 months ago. Had i known how many travellers go through thailand (because it is a cool place to go), i would have joined them. However, it costs money to change locations on my around the world ticket, which means i'm sticking to my original plan. I'm hoping none of the people i've met along the way were there.

Christmas is over and i have to say i'm feeling good about that. In my mind i imagined a christmas with cool travellers that also happened to be alone. I didn't get that, but i think everything worked out how it was supposed to. its always good to have a learn-the-true-meaning-of-christmas christmas.

I shared my room with three egyptian engineers who were taking a short holiday after being sent to denmark. They liked sleeping in late, so while they slept i wrapped their presents. i got them each a button that i found at the leather market: a sun, a watermelon, and a ninja. i made a card that said buon natale and had a drawing of a christmas tree and snowman. i think they liked it because when i came back to the room, the card was on my bed with a little blue ceramic scarreb (beetle?). i got confused on the day they would be leaving (the calendar in the room was from 2003), so i didn't know they wouldn't be back. i was alone the rest of the day, and since all of florence was closed i just went to my favorite spots in the city and sat and read or wrote.

The best part of the day was the hour when i called my family and friends. it felt really good. next christmas i'm going to be home. its where i belong.

I'm definitely looking forward to january. tomorrow i leave for sardinia (sardegna). its an overnight ferryboat ride so it should be cool and i've got a bed so at least i can sleep. in the past two weeks i've learned/recalled more italian than the last 3 years put together. i only have an hour or two of english thoughts, talking, or emailing a day. other than that, its only italian. i'm not sure if i'm ready for an all italian speaking family, but hopefully i'll learn quick.

Tomorrow i'm sending my money in for the italian wwoofing card (world wide organization of organic farms) so soon i'll know where i'll be spending most of january. then its iceland!! with my brother. it should be fun...cold and dark, but a lot of fun.

have a good day
your friend

chad

No comments: