Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Snow Day, for real this time

Hello,

I checked into my hostel right after the last post and the lady said, "the weather is going to be real nice tomorrow," and i heard, "go snowboarding." So all day yesterday i was snowboarding at the cardrona ski park. I left the hostel at 8 in the morning and it took me until 1 pm to realize that i was snowboarding in new zealand (one of those moments that you just can't help but smile). It had snowed the day before so there was a good amount of powder left on some of the harder runs. A great day for snowboarding! All around were mountains that look just like the paramount pictures mountain. Two things i will not forget: I hit a lady so hard that it broke her ski boot. I felt so bad and after she simmered down she was nice too. I thought it was completely my fault, but later on i saw a sign that said the downhill skier has the right of way, which was me, so i feel less bad about it now. And the other memory was going straight through the middle of a SLOW sign. I completely took it out. It was in a really steep area and i was trying to do an all stop. It made me jump more than stop and went right through the sign. Now this probably makes me sound like i was completely out of control out there, but i swear those were two isolated occourances. I was able to do some difficult runs, had no bad tumbles, and kept my clothes dry the whole day (i didn't want to hire the waterproof clothes because it was just to much money with everything else).

Last night we went to the raddest movie theater i've ever seen. It was called cinema paridiso. The picture size wasn't great, the sound wasn't great, but the character of the place was awesome. It was small and all of the seats were different couches and comfy chairs. My seat (i think the best seat of the house) was in an old Morris Minor, a cool new zealand car. It so neat to be sitting in a theater in this old car.

the sweetest movie theatre of all time. i sat in the car the whole movie. my feet were in the glove compartment for a footrest. comfy.

Today is Puzzle World, which is some weird place with mazes and goofy things, and i'll probably hike up to some peak nearby. Its been great hanging out with Pauline, Hayley, Laura and friends (their friend group just keeps growing). Pauline, Laura and i may hire a car tomorrow and go to mt. cook. Its probably the cheapest way to see it and should be a good day trip. Next stop is Queenstown and i might bungy jump with Hayley off of the Nevis. Its some gondola obscenely high up. We'll see if I can get there early enough, Hayley is on a tight schedule and can only do it on sat.

I hope everyone is well. have a good day

your friend
chad

No comments: